Senior Research Fellow
Electronics and Communication Sciences Unit
Indian Statistical Institute
A member of Machine Learning Research Group
Me and My ResearchI am currently pursuing my Ph.D. degree under the guidance of Dr. Swagatam Das.
Primary Research Interests
- Machine Learning
- Deep Learning
- Class Imbalanced Learning
- Adversarial Learning
- Deep Generative Models
- Evolutionary Optimization
Current and Past Research Problems
Class Imbalanced ClassificationImprove immunity of Support Vector Machines, k-Nearest Neighbor, and Deep Neural Network classifiers against the detrimental effects of class imbalance.
Theoretical Analysis of ClassifiersMathematically investigate how class imbalance affects the performance of a classifier as well as the popular evaluation indices.
Differential Evolution (DE)Design variants of DE for large scale and noisy real valued global optimization problems. Apply DE to address problems like parameter optimization in classifiers, adversarial attacks on Deep Neural Network classifiers, etc.
Classification in Presence of Label-based AmbiguityFormally define as an umbrella problem for various class label-based ambiguities such as noisy labels, crowd-sourced labels, unreliable experts, etc. Design classifiers which can effectively resolve such ambiguities.
Please visit my Google Scholar page for more information.
You can also find implementations in MatLab or Python for many of these works in my GitHub profile.
- Mullick, Sankha Subhra, Shounak Datta, Sourish Gunesh Dhekane, and Swagatam Das. “Appropriateness of Performance Indices for Imbalanced Data Classification: An Analysis.” Accepted in Pattern Recognition.
- Mullick, Sankha Subhra, Shounak Datta and Swagatam Das. “Generative adversarial minority oversampling.” Accepted in IEEE International Conference on Computer Vision (ICCV) 2019. arXiv preprint arXiv:1903.09730.
- Banerjee, Imon, Sankha Subhra Mullick, and Swagatam Das. “On convergence of the class membership estimator in fuzzy k-nearest neighbour classifier.” IEEE Transactions on Fuzzy Systems, 27 (6), (2019): 1226-1236.
- Mullick, Sankha Subhra, Shounak Datta and Swagatam Das. "Adaptive learning-based k-nearest neighbour classifiers with resilience to class imbalance," IEEE Transactions on Neural Networks and Learning Systems, 29(11) (2018): 5713 - 5725.
- Ghosh, Arka, Swagatam Das, Sankha Subhra Mullick, R Mallipeddi, and AK Das. “A switched parameter differential evolution with optional blending crossover for scalable numerical optimization”. Applied Soft Computing 57 (2017): 329-352.
- Biswas, Nimagna, Saurajit Chakraborty, Sankha Subhra Mullick, and Swagatam Das. “A parameter independent fuzzy weighted k-Nearest neighbour classifier.” Pattern Recognition Letters 101 (2017): 80-87.
- Datta, Shounak, Sankha Subhra Mullick, and Swagatam Das. "Generalized mean based back-propagation of errors for ambiguity resolution." Pattern Recognition Letters 94 (2017): 22-29.
- Datta, Shounak, Sayak Nag, Sankha Subhra Mullick, and Swagatam Das. "Diversifying support vector machines for boosting using kernel perturbation: applications to class imbalance and small disjuncts." arXiv preprint arXiv:1712.08493 (2017).
- Das, Swagatam, Sankha Subhra Mullick, and Ponnuthurai N. Suganthan. "Recent advances in differential evolution–an updated survey." Swarm and Evolutionary Computation 27 (2016): 1-30.
- Das, Swagatam, Arka Ghosh, and Sankha Subhra Mullick. "A switched parameter differential evolution for large scale global optimization–simpler may be better." Mendel 2015. Springer, Cham, 2015. 103-125.
My Professional Activities
Reveiw DutiesI act as an active reviewer for IEEE Transactions on Evolutionary Computations (since 2019), IEEE Transactions on Fuzzy Systems (since 2019), IEEE Transactions on Neural Networks and Learning Systems (since 2018), IEEE Access (since 2018), Swarm and Evolutionary Computation (since 2018), Neurocomputing (since 2018), Pattern Recognition (since 2017), Information Sciences (since 2017), etc.
Teaching DutiesI have supervised more than 10 undergraduate and graduate research interns from notable academic institutes such as ISI, Jadavpur University, IIT Guwahati, IIIT Guwahati, etc. on projects leading to journal papers, technical reports and/or dissertations since 2015.
LecturesI serve as a lecturer in the Summer School on Computer Vision, Graphics and Image Processing, an Electronics and Communication Sciences Unit, Indian Statistical Institute initiative since 2016.
My Education and Research ExperienceAugust, 2016 - Now
Senior Research Fellow, Electronics and Communication Sciences Unit, Indian Statistical Institute.
August, 2014 - July, 2016
Junior Research Fellow, Electronics and Communication Sciences Unit, Indian Statistical Institute.
July, 2012 - August, 2014
M.Tech in Computer Science, Indian Statistical Institute.
May, 2013 - June, 2013
Research Intern, Indian Institute of Technology, Delhi.
July, 2008 - July, 2012
B.Tech in Computer Science and Engineering from West Bengal University of Technology (recently renamed as Maulana Abul Kalam Azad University of Technology).
Beyond ResearchI am an avid reader and a video game enthusiast, who happens to love high-altitude trekking as well. I am interested in creative writing which I consider as my primary hobby. My literary works are mostly in Bengali which is my mother tongue, while I prefer to use English for blogging. I am a feminist and an environmentalist.
This website is developed by Sankha Subhra Mullick, over the Hydeout project, on 9th of September, 2019.